Tony Nash is co-founder and CEO of Booktopia, which employs 260 people, generates over $170M and sells one item every six seconds.
Tony’s story, however, really starts when he dropped out of college to travel the world for three years - what he now credits to being his version of a degree.
It paved the way to founding several businesses across different domains, one of which was sold to a listed company, before several strokes of serendipity led Tony to found Booktopia in 2004.
We unpacked numerous topics in this conversation, including:
- How to build great teams
- Why you should just start, instead of waiting for a great idea
- The value of a positive and empowering outlook
...and so much more that Tony credits with the success of Booktopia.
This is a must listen for anybody trying to build anything great and enduring, so without further ado, I bring you the one and only, Tony Nash.
Note: We’ll have Tony back on the show in the near future to talk going from zero to $170M in part 2 of the conversation, with all of the struggles and challenges overcome along the way.
- Playing ZORK
- Dropping out of college
- Lessons learned traveling the world for three years in his 20s
- Recruitment and people
- How to attract and retain great talent
- What Tony looks for in new hires
- Questions to ask when hiring
- Why Tony set up his own firm instead of working for someone else
- How an SEO company evolved into Booktopia
- Building company culture
- Starting Booktopia as a side hustle on $10 a day
- Not raising capital
- Thriving through disruption to the book landscape
- Tony’s most impactful books read
Listen to Future Squared on Apple Podcasts goo.gl/sMnEa0
Also available on: Spotify, Google Podcasts, TuneIn, Stitcher and Soundcloud
Future Squared: www.futuresquared.xyz
Steve Glaveski: www.steveglaveski.com
Steve's book: www.employeetoentrepreneur.io
NEW Facebook group: www.facebook.com/groups/futuresquared/
Watch on YouTube: https://bit.ly/2N77FLx
Conversations with preeminent thought leaders from a variety of fields to help you think in a multi-disciplinary way, make better decisions, kick goals in your professional and personal life and better navigate what is fast becoming, a Brave New World.VIEW MORE EPISODES