James Clear is an author and speaker focused on habits, decision-making, and continuous improvement.
A freak baseball accident put James in a desperate place, fighting to recover from brain damage. The debilitating brain injury forced him to discover a new way of living. Recovery took James to a new understanding of habits and the power of stacking simple, easy habits, one on top of the other, to create momentum and change.
His book, Atomic Habits: Tiny Changes, Remarkable Results, shares his learnings with the world. It has sold well over one million copies and has been translated into numerous languages.
He is a regular speaker at Fortune 500 companies and his work is used by teams in the NFL, NBA, and MLB. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Entrepreneur, Time, and on CBS This Morning.
We covered numerous topics in this conversation, including, as you might expect:
- How to build good habits and break bad ones
- Why systems are much more important than goals alone; and
- What kind of ‘meta habits’ deliver a massive return in life
We explore this and a whole lot more so strap yourself in for an hour with Mr Atomic Habits himself, James Clear.
- Why are good habits so difficult to form
- Our brain’s desire to optimize for energy conservation
- The three layers of behaviour change
- The four laws of behaviour change
- The power of rewards
- Habit stacking
- Environment design
- The power of small changes
- The path of least effort meets the laws of motion
- Picking the right metrics
- The Goldilocks Zone
- Short feedback loops
- What leaders can do to build better habits in their teams and companies
- Meta habits
- What role identity plays
- Values alignment
- @jamesclear on Twitter
- Get the book: https://amzn.to/2DHgN5l
- Listen to Future Squared on Apple Podcasts goo.gl/sMnEa0
- Also available on: Spotify, Google Podcasts, TuneIn, Stitcher and Soundcloud
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/steveglaveski
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/@thesteveglaveski
- Future Squared: www.futuresquared.xyz
- Steve Glaveski: www.steveglaveski.com
- Medium: www.medium.com/@steveglaveski
- Steve's book: www.employeetoentrepreneur.io
- NEW Facebook group: www.facebook.com/groups/futuresquared/
- Watch on YouTube: https://bit.ly/2N77FLx